The World Union of Muslim University Professors
Expansion and development of the Islamic society depends on the achievement of spirituality and state-of-the-art sciences. Many years of colonialism by foreign powers and native autocracy in many Islamic nations has resulted in Muslims’ divergence and dependence on Western culture. The Islamic Sciences, which once served as the foundation of the western sciences, has become isolated due to Muslims’ negligence and lack of unity.
The Islamic thinkers urge that the development of Islamic society depends on adherence to the modern Islamic culture; the culture in which science accompanies morality, and politics accompanies justice. The aim of the Modern Islamic culture is to build a modern, ethical society based on a background of pure Islamic teachings. Reaching this goal needs time, but it is the duty of all Muslim generations to strive towards this goal. One of the important steps towards reaching this goal is the constant cooperation and participation of all Muslim intellects and professors.
Established in 2012, “The World Union of Muslim University Professors” (W.U.M.U.P) is a scientific NGO founded upon the suggestion of professors and intellectuals from more than 96 countries.
The central council of the W.U.M.U.P consists of fifty Muslim university professors and intellectuals, with its secretariat based in Tehran.
2. The aims of W.U.M.U.P
The most important aims of this NGO are as follow:
1. To form a united Islamic nation (Ummah) and establish modern Islamic culture;
2. To appropriately introduce Islam and defend the Islamic teachings and the common heritage of Muslims in a logical and scientific manner;
3. To provide the conditions for scientific and cultural exchanges among scientific and academic centers and Muslim professors;
4. To support effective and purposeful scientific and cultural activities of Muslim university professors;
5. To ensure coordination among university professors, groups and NGOs associated with W.U.M.U.P objectives;
6. To Islamicize and localize sciences especially humanities;
7. To identify the capability of Muslim scholars and to organize and support their scientific researches in universities all over the world;
8. To pave the way for scientific and research exchanges between Muslim scholars in order to extend and deepen the scientific capabilities of universities in order to promote the development of modern Islamic culture;
9. To investigate and design the institutions needed for the Islamic World, such as The Islamic Nations Trade Organization and The Islamic Nations Penal University
10. To establish theorizing chairs Muslim universities;
11. To extend non-governmental scientific and research contributions towards forming modern Islamic culture;
12. To ensure the interaction and cooperation among universities and research-related centers in Islamic countries;
13. To provide for the spiritual and material growth of Muslims;
14. To reduce prejudice, dogmatism and violence among the Islamic sects and to emphasize modernism, tolerance, rationality, closeness of religions, as well as Islamic convergence and unity;
15. To eliminate instances of autocracy and colonialism and to raise public awareness and participation; and
16. Try to establish any necessary international Islamic institutions in order to establish a united Ummah.
3. W.U.M.U.P membership requirements
• Being a Muslim and a faculty member in a university or research institution;
• A committee selected by the W.U.M.U.P central council will decide whether a person is qualified to become a member or not.
• The applicant for membership must abide by the W.U.M.U.P aims and show effective efforts to reach them;
• The applicant must have good will and appropriate social status.
4. Application Procedures
Application procedures are as follow:
• The applicant submits a written application to the professor employment committee;
• The hiring committee sends the application, its reports and documents to the head of the central committee no later than one month after receiving the application;
• The majority of the central council members present should vote in favor of, and confirm, this membership.
5. The Structure of W.U.M.U.P
• Board of Trustees
• General Assembly
• Central Council
The General Assembly is the most comprehensive pillar of the W.U.M.U.P consisting of all the members. The general Assembly shall convene once every year upon the invitation of the head of the General Assembly. The objectives of this meeting will be the following:
• Selecting the head of the Assembly;
• Selecting the members of the Central Council
• Hearing the reports of the Central Council
• Setting its annual agenda in order to hold meetings and reach the related objectives.
6. How professors conduct their activities in W.U.M.U.P
One of the objectives of the W.U.M.U.P is to form specialized scientific workgroups having outstanding universities as their core, aiming to effectively connect the university professors and to promote them scientifically. The university professors in these workgroups exchange their knowledge via a sustainable relationship with each other, hence not only getting familiar with achievements of other intellectuals, but also contributing to the new Islamic civilization.
Through organizing scientific and specialized international meetings, seminars and conferences, the W.U.M.U.P aims at taking steps toward fulfilling its intended objectives.
Strategies of the World Union of Muslim University Professors and its eighteen committees of new Islamic civilization:
1. The Position of the World Union and the workgroups for the new Islamic civilization:
The scientific, practical, and strategic explanation of the new Islamic civilization and scientific, practical and executive realization requires prudence, effort and a special organization. The World Union of Muslim University Professors can become a thinking tank for this divine, monotheist and exalted movement.
2. The Scientific Role of the Union and its workgroups: The workgroups of new Islamic civilization will get engaged in all arenas of basic sciences, engineering, health, law, management, politics, culture, spiritual and moral sciences and social sciences and will contribute to the economic development and social and political balance of the Islamic world.
3. The Function of the union and the workgroups of the new Islamic civilization: These work groups will be in the form of scientific circles, scientific poles, scientific associations, etc. consisting of professors and scholars of the Islamic World, the Muslims around the world and other scholars and those interested in the new Islamic civilization. Scientific collaboration in all fields of research (the civil research and studies), as well as training and informing (such as publications, journals, networks, advertisements, etc.) alongside the exchange of the new scientific findings will prevent duplication and will result in all-out synergy.
4. The Function of the Union and the workgroups of the new Islamic civilization: The identification and networking of the forces, institutions, activities as well as scientific, trade and civil achievements of Muslim professors of the universities all over the world (just like the blessed rites of Hajj, which is now the largest annual religious, civil, social and political congregation of human beings) can be the largest network and scientific, strategic and applied conference in the world aiming at the revival of a new, efficient and effective Islamic civilization.